Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wedding Rings

I heard recently on a podcast, that Prince Williams has decided to NOT wear a wedding ring. It's everywhere in the news.  ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/01/prince-william-wedding-ring_n_843451.html ) His wife is, but he is not.
This is terrible, if you ask me! It's just a shame. I found these statistics on one website about divorce rates - "According to enrichment journal on the divorce rates in America, the divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%; the divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%; the divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%." On a podcast I heard that - "Nearly four in 10 Americans think marriage is becoming obsolete, according to a new survey that reveals changing attitudes on gay marriage, unwed couples and the definition of what a family is." Time magazine published and article called "who needs marriage?" (you can see it at - http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2031962,00.html  ).
What is happening here? We are getting SO FAR away from what God wants from us. We are obliterating the family unit! A man, IMO, MUST wear a wedding ring. Other women need to know that they are taken. I feel like, if you take that ring away, you are taking a level of the commitment away as well. What about men and their roaming eye? What about if they are approached by another woman, who has sexual intentions towards them? There's NO RING to show that he is married. I would feel very hurt if I found out my husband was not going to wear a ring. Or if he even took it off in public! Maybe I am jealous. Maybe I sound insecure. Marriage is a sacred bond between 2 people, witness by GOD! God loves marriage between a man and a woman.

Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. - Gen 2:24

Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. - Hebrews 13:4

Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." - Matthew 19:4-6

But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. - 1 Corinthians 7: 1


There are many more as well. I know that God doesn't say "you must wear your wedding ring", but I would think that in an immoral world, there MUST be a symbol of marriage that is visible to everyone. I just think it's only a half hearted commitment if you don't wear your ring. What do you guys think? Peace!

9 comments:

  1. My husband doesn't wear his because it no longer fits and I don't wear mine because I work in a spa and the products that I use would ruin it, not to mention it would scratch my clients. Occasionally when we go out somewhere nice I'll put them on. I don't feel like my ring is my marriage. It's a symbol. My marriage is my bond with my husband and the promise we made to God 7 years ago to value it. If my marriage is defined by a ring, and my moral character is that weak whether I wear or don't wear my ring makes no difference. I have friends who have cheated while wearing their rings. IMO as a good wife, I never put myself in a situation where someone would question my commitment to my husband. Prince William is publicly professing his love and his commitment to Kate before God and the whole world. If that isn't enough a ring won't change it. Jmo.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline

    Visiting from Titus 2sdays. I agree with anonymous to a certain extent. I have had periods in my life when I haven't been able to wear my ring because it didn't fit anymore (pregnancy/weight gain) I do not, as she said, put myself into situations that would compromise my marriage. The ring is not necessary to let others know I'm 'taken' because my actions tell them. My husband also didn't wear his for a long time.

    On the other hand, he made a commitment to start wearing it again about 2 years ago because he realised that it represented his vows to me. I do believe that somehow not wearing it did encourage situations that should not have occurred and this was his way of making sure this doesn't happen again.

    So, I can see both sides of the story (btw I have had lots of issues with jealousy myself ;-)
    Speaking with the knowledge I have now.. I would say that, while the way we conduct ourselves should be sufficient to keep our moral values intact (and wearing a ring doesn't automatically do that) a little visual reminder wouldn't hurt. Each time he looks at that ring he will remember in times of temptation what it represents. (This is from the horse's mouth not mine ;-)

    Love & Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it is necessary for a male to wear a wedding ring. While it is nice,my father never wore a wedding ring and he and my mom were married over 50 yrs before my mother passed away. My husband does not wear a wedding ring and we have been married for over 25 yrs. The vows you take when you get married are vows from the heart, if it is something so simply forgotten when temptation gets in the way then I don't think the strength behind the vows was that strong. Even if a man decides to wear a ring, it is just as easily taken off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....My husband does wear a ring, as do I. It was a decision we made together, and one that we made to honor the commitment that we made to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get it. A ring doesn't mean a man will stay faithful. An unfaithful man will be unfaithful no matter what. I just personally think it sends the wrong message to people. One night (infact it was new years eve) I had taken off my rings because my hands were so painfully dry. I ended up running to the store to grab some grub for the family. There was a guy behind me who LOOKED at my hand, saw no ring and began talking to me. I knew that he was "interested" and he was talking about how lonely he gets at night. Now if he had asked me on a date, I would ahve to explain that I was married but I wasn't wearing my rings (sounds funny to me, I thought). I make sure I always wear my rings now, because I do NOT want to be put into an akward situation like that. It's for other people to know you are Taken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like knowing my husbanded is "branded" : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Designs of wedding rings are really gorgeous and fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sri, but these are not my rings (or hands). My hands and nails don't NEARLY look that polished! LOL But they are nice rings! And LOL Kasey, I do too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when my hubby wears his ring, but it hasn't happened in a lot of years. We've currently been married for 12 years. We have a wonderful marriage and I trust him completely. He works construction (ironworker) and one time got his hand smashed and it broke his ring. He refuses to wear one to work now, which is understandable. His ring would need to be fixed and sized and we aren't willing to spend that money on that now. In the future, when money is better, he will probably get a new one but for now I just have to deal with it. It's been so long since I've seen one on him, I don't really notice it anymore.

    He has actually made the comment that more women approach him when he's wearing his ring....like he's a challenge or something. I don't know if it's true or a way of making me not want him to wear it...but regardless, I don't question his commitment because of the lack of ring.

    ReplyDelete